Proposal for the Mechanical Engineering Design for PAL Fuel Tank Farm in Batangas City
By: Jose I. Hizon Jr., Carlos E. Zapanta and Melvin Panganiban
Approach and Methodology in Undertaking the Proposed Services
Scope of Works
DOZON’s first priority is to evaluate the existing condition. This will comprise of assigning a reconnaissance team who will be responsible for the collection of all data and pertinent information relevant to the project. This will also include verification of any existing and/or proposed development in the vicinity of the area to determine the availability of power and water supply, telecommunications and drainage system and other facilities.
- Ensure the designs are in accordance with applicable codes, regulations and ordinances.
- Finalize the Basis of Design and brief to enable the preparation of full design drawings.
- Finalize the design drawings for the works, taking due consideration of the requirements of each design discipline.
- Prepare technical specifications for the works, based upon sound engineering practice and cognizance of local requirements and methods.
- Prepare and submit final construction drawings and technical specifications.
- Prepare Bill of Quantities based on the final design suitable for procuring of materials.
- Attend design meeting/presentations as requested by the CLIENT.
Design of fuel tank
This includes determination of the optimum numbers, capacities, dimensions, spacing and layout of fuel tanks and auxiliary piping. Design shall be done in accordance with he latest applicable local codes and internationally recognized standards. Several schemes shall be considered, studied and evaluated to arrive at the optimum system design.
Design of fuel loading and unloading piping facility
Upon completion fuel tank design and upon finalization of site development and marine berth, design of associated fuel loading/unloading piping between marine berth, fuel tank farm and truck loading shed shall then be made. Design shall be done in accordance with the latest applicable local codes and internationally recognized standards.
Design of fire protection system for the fuel tank farm and marine berth
Upon owner’s approval of the fuel tank and pipe layouts and upon finalization of site development plan and marine berth, design of fire protection system shall be made This includes design of fire hydrant system for entire facility, design of foam system for fuel tank farm and marine dock, design of water spray for fuel tanks exposure protection. Likewise, design shall be done in accordance with the latest applicable local codes and internationally recognized standards.
Design of fire protection, ventilation and/or air conditioning system for ancillary structures
Upon owner’s approval of the architectural concept of the administration building, laboratory, employees’ quarters and other ancillary structure, design of fire protection, ventilation and/or air conditioning system for these structures shall then be made based on the latest applicable building codes.
1. Major Service Requirements
a. Study of existing site facilities and utilities
b. Coordination with the architects and other engineering consultants
c. Space allocation for fuel tank farm, equipment rooms, and fire storage tank
d. Equipment layout
e. Equipment selection including pumps, air conditioning units, etc.
2. Cost estimate: review concept against budget for conformity
3. Outline design criteria
4. Finalized electrical site distribution routing and sub-station design
5. Finalized air conditioning, ventilation, fuel piping, and fire protection plan, tank farm layout, equipment layout, equipment schedule, schematic line diagrams for ducting and piping
Engineering Support During Construction
- Coordinate closely with the CLIENT and other disciplines involved in the construction to ensure strict compliance of the construction with the design plans and specifications.
- Assist the CLIENT and the contractor in the interpretation of the design plans and specifications.
- Organize and lead job site meetings and others which may be required by the CLIENT.
- Review and approve all shop drawings, catalogues, and samples prepared by the contractors to ensure compatibility with design and specification requirements.