A Proposed Design of a Bagasse Rotary Dryer for Cagayan-Robina Sugar Milling Company
Mary B. Pasion
Nueva Vizcaya State University
In the sugar factories,bagasse is used as captive fuel in their boilers for raising steam necessary for power generation, as well as running the sugar factory and processing sugar cane into sugar.
Raw Sugar Process
13.3% saccharose (10-15% sucrose)
2.7% soluble impurities
By-products of sugar cane
• the fibrous residue left over after the extraction of juice from sugar cane milling process
• composed of 43-52% fiber, 45-52% moisture and 2-6% soluble solids
In Cagayan-Robina sugar milling company, the installation of bagasse dryer became essential since the moisture content of bagasse of the mill run bagasse of their milling plant has an average of 50.12%. High moisture content in the bagasse cause incomplete combustion in the boiler furnace, therefore it need a lot of extraneous to meet the steam requirement of the factory.
To propose a design of a bagasse rotary dryer for Cagayan-Robina Sugar Milling Company.
1. To design a rotary bagasse dryer for CARSUMCO.
2. To make an economic feasibility of the proposed design in terms of:
a. rate of return of investment
b. payback period
Scope and Limitations:
In response to the problem of high moisture content of bagasse from the milling plant of CARSUMCO, this study focused in the design of a rotary bagasse dryer.
Schedule of Activities
Identification of Problem – 1 month
Data Gathering – 1 month
Design – 2 months
Computations – 1 month
Documentations – 1 month
1. Design of a rotary bagasse dryer
2. Economic feasibility based on computed rate of return and payback period.
• Books and journals
• Internet Access
• CARSUMCO laboratory results
• Machine shop